Feed on
7 gallons of raw cow's milk

My food supply for the week

(For 3 weeks, I did the milk cure, drinking 3 1/2 quarts to 1 gallon of raw milk each day. Except for water, all I had was milk. This is a series of posts (25) keeping track each day. For the entire series, start out on “Trying Something Old“). All links to the series is at the bottom of each article.)

Friday was the actual first day of my milk cure.  I actually slept well last night, which was surprising given how uncomfortable I was when I went to bed. I didn’t wake up once.

I began my milk cure at 7am Friday. What I didn’t realize was how consuming the milk cure can be.  My entire day was focused on milk.  It was actually pretty awesome.  In both McFadden’s and Porter’s books, they recommend sipping small amounts of room temperature milk in regular intervals throughout the day, allowing your body 12 hours of not drinking milk. So I had decided to consume a gallon of milk. Since milk is 128 ounces and I need to space that out over 12 hours, that comes out to 10.6 ounces per hour or in my case, for the first two days, 5.3 ounces per half hour. I actually found an iPhone app called Westminster Chimes, which simply chimes on the hour and the half hour.  Perfect for reminding myself to get more milk.

Since the recommendations are to sip it, and hold it in your mouth allowing your saliva to begin the digestion process, I found that I was drinking my 5 + ounces of milk for 15-20 minutes out of the 30.  That didn’t leave me much time for other things.  I’m glad I have 3 days at home to start this since I’m hopeful that by Sunday when I change the frequency to 10.6 ounces per hour that I’ll actually have time to do something besides sip milk. And that means that by Monday when I go to work, I’ll be able to do this at work with no issues (well except from some ribbing from co-workers, I expect).

Don’t get me wrong, I did get some things done in spurts.  I cleaned up my kitchen. Since I won’t be really using it for a few weeks, I did a good stove cleaning. I pounded loose nails on my deck. I did get a few things done, but not exercise. Some studying, some blogging, but I also took time out to sit in the sun on my deck and listen to music. To relax and let my body begin healing.

So far the healing I’m seeing seems to be related to getting rid of the toxins in my body. Which makes sense. I don’t feel badly at all.  My mind is clear, and my body feels fine, except from some tummy issues, which might or might not be a fall out from the juice fast of yesterday. But I fully expect to have some days of discomfort during this. Discomfort can be my body rejecting the toxins and “stuff” that has  built up in my body. I’m willing to live with that.

What I don’t feel is a need to “do” anything.  I’m not feeling any stress, nor am I under a “need” to get things done.  I’m happy sipping my milk, resting and relaxing and listen to what my body needs.  I truly am understanding that this is a rest cure, to the extent that any of us can rest these days.

I’m not hungry or thirsty. My body seems to be taking the small amounts of milk well. I’m not having a problem drinking it at all. I haven’t had any water today either.

Around 6pm (about an hour before my last milk), I started feeling detoxy.  Shivering, and with some muscle aches in my legs similar to growing pains as a child. I did another detox bath tonight using a combination of Epsom salts and baking soda along with my detox oil blend. I was fine in the bath, but began to shiver afterwards.  Either the milk or the detox was acting as a sleep aid, because by 7:40, I could barely keep my eyes open.  So, listening to my body, I was asleep by 8pm.

I expect given the night issues, that the second day will not be easy. I fully expect to be detoxing a lot tomorrow.

Being My Own Human Guinea Pig

Well my weight is down, but after yesterday I expect that. I’ve been yo-yoing for a few months between 198 and 202 so I’m not really going to consider this weight loss until I am below 198.  My glucose levels are a little off-putting, and in reality maybe I should have recorded yesterday’s juice numbers.  But there is a possibility that my numbers are up because of the fruit juice yesterday.  Even if they are up from the milk (and a gallon of milk contains 192 grams of sugar), it’s not horrible (yet). I’m confident that the fat in the milk is helping to calm the sugars down. I’m also pretty sure that my numbers would be a lot higher if I simply ate 192 grams of sugar in a day. What surprised me is that a few hours after the last of my milk, that my glucose level before bed fell as low as it did.

My Basal temperature is within the normal range, and its going to be interesting to see what happens here. I’m actually hoping that they go up a bit during this time.


Day Weight Basal Temp Glucose: Fasting Glucose: Noon Glucose: Bed
Baseline 201.4 97.9 114 104 110
 Day 1  200.2  98.2  115  120  103

One Response to “Milk Cure 2012: Day 1 – And Here I Start”

  1. Keith Campbell says:

    Those numbers might be slightly higher than normal for you, but they are still perfectly within normal range; I don’t see any reason to be concerned. The milk sugar processes pretty quickly, so there’s really no way to avoid a bit of a rise. Milk is a popular option for people who have taken too much insulin, because it gets blood sugar back up quickly but provides a bit of protein to balance, unlike juice or candy, which can be a very hard spike.